Monday, August 16, 2010

Mocktail Bar: Keep an eye on the curveballs


Sometimes plans just don't go the way you want them to, and sometimes, that can be really good thing.

I went into Ikea last Friday to purchase the bottles and straws I'd mentioned in my previous post about the mocktail bar set up, and guess what? They were out of the bottles for my mocktail bar juices and the straws didn't come in the colors I wanted. 

BOO! Needless to say I was greatly displeased. As I trudged out of the store, through the insidious Ikea marketplace maze (clearly intended to entice one into purchasing frames, candle holders and other bits not previously required) I happened upon the vase section and inspiration caught my eye in the form of this:

 

 
While this is a rather iconic Ikea vase, in that moment I couldn't help thinking that it would make an absolutely fantastic bottle for my mocktail bar. So, rather than driving a few cities over to another Ikea, I changed plans and purchased 5 of these vases(three pink and two clear) for $2.99 a piece. We did a mock up of the mocktail bar last night and I couldn't be happier with my choice. The vases look fantastic. And as for the straws, I was lucky enough to find a pack a gorgeous, hot pink straws at my local Dollarama, which saved $1.99.


 

I wonder how many people have had thwarted plans turn into a blessing in disguise.

No comments:

Post a Comment