Thursday, August 26, 2010

Inspiration board makers revisited


After my initial post about an online inspiration board maker I'd found, I've decided to revisit the topic and expand. No longer in wedding planning mode, I now look at inspiration boards as a great way to plan a party theme, holiday decorating scheme or even to design a room Here are the different boards I've looked at, both online and offline:


Online Inspiration board makers


Polyvore






Great for putting outfits together, but that's primarily it. No home décor or party planning option available. You click and drag articles of clothing/accessories from a pre-populated library to create a fairly freeform board.


 

MosaicMaker








As I'd mentioned before, this site is easy and free. It allows you to use pictures you've found all over the net and upload them to create a mosaic. This is a great program. The only thing I'm not crazy about is that it seems to force a grid pattern. Call me a kid who colors outside of the lines, but I'm not so into uniformity sometimes.


 

Google Docs (Presentation)




Overlooked by most people, the Google Docs presentation program is actually an extremely flexible, easy to use option. It allows you to use any pictures you find online, change background colors, add text, resize images, and come with a built in Share button that allows you to share you creation with friends and family. I made a quick living room board in about 5 minutes, with some picture I had in my computer:


 

Offline inspiration board makers


 

PhotoShop (or any other photo editing program)

This is my favorite. Of course, I'm a huge PhotoShop nerd so, anything that allows me to use it will be my fav. It's the flexibility and the creativity it allows. Add any image you want, resize it however you'd like, add text, add backgrounds. Found a couch in the perfect shape and size for your living room, but not the right color, simply change the color in PhotoShop.


 

Powerpoint

Same tools and versatility as Google Docs, only without the share function.


 

Scrapbook/Stylebook

Create your inspiration board with good old-fashioned paper, scissors and adhesive within the pages of a scrapbook and you'll have a hard copy of all inspiration ideas. Go through magazines, visit fabric and wallpaper stores, where they are almost always willing to provide you with swatches free of charge. As an added bonus, you'll be able to add actual fabric swatches, wallpaper, paper goods and more. Sure, you won't be able to post a style book to Facebook, but what you will have is the ability to get together with an equally crafty friend or two over a glass of something tasty to pour through your style books and enjoy some screen-free interaction. Imagine that!

No comments:

Post a Comment