Monday, September 20, 2010

Living room built-ins on a budget


I've had a design project rattling around in my brain for quite some time now. I'm slowly (very slowly) putting my living room/sitting room/room without a TV together and would really love to include the timeless elegance of built-ins into the décor. At the same time, I don't want to pay the high price for said timeless elegance, which is where my project comes in.


After spending a lot of time on sites like Ikeahacker.com and Ikeafans.com I've come to look at certain bits of Ikea furniture as raw materials, most notably, The Billy Bookcase. The basic Billy start out at a pretty low price and come in a few different colors and finishes, which makes them super versatile and budget-friendly at the same time. This would likely explain why the Billy bookcase turned into Built-ins project seems to be so popular. It also allows for some great personalization with some paint or wallpaper. I've even seen the standard matching shelves swapped out for glass shelves.


With my planned project, I'm thinking about adding some bead board wallpaper and molding to a few standard size Billys, along with some short doors to enclose the bottom shelves. Somewhere down the road, I'd also like to add some jadeite door pulls, to add a bit of antique chic. I have a few other ideas planned, but haven't come to a final conclusion. 



Here are a few Billy bookcase projects that I find inspiring:



 

This is a proper built-in, found at MagChunk http://www.magchunk.com/2009/11/12/more-built-in-bookcases/
 I'm loving the look of the entire room, really.


I can't remember where I found this picture. If anyone recognizes it, please let me know so that I can cite proper credit. I love that simplistic display choices.


 



And a great blog with lots of creative uses for bookcases, Billy included - http://www.simpleeffects.com/blog/?p=362




 

If you're considering a Billy built-ins project, Ikea has a great planner online.Give it a try!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment