Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Antique Shops in Ontario: The St. Jacobs Antiques Market

I hope everyone had a good labor day. As you can see from this photo, mine was a wee bit damp. Sadly, as a result there was to be no farmer's market wandering; however, this made for an excellent day at my favorite antique shop in Ontario, with a bonus jaunt into a nearby outlet mall ...which happened to have Pyrex and Corning Ware pieces on at insanely great prices. I mean we're talking 2 for 1 baking dishes and huge yet dirt cheap covered casseroles...but I digress.

On to my promised photo-filled recap of what has to be one of the best antique shops in Ontario, in my opinion. I had previously mentioned the St Jacob's Antiques Market in a post a few months back, but didn't really go into the detail it deserves. This antique shop is a large, warehouse of a building, portioned out into individual stalls, much like a farmer's market or flea market. Each stall houses an individual seller's ware, which range anywhere from old books and toys, vintage records, clothing, antique furniture, housewares, light fixtures, teacups, military mementos, some gorgeous pressed glass and of course, my personal favorite milk glass!

I know, I know, enough chatter, on with the pictures...



I am absolutely crazy for this sofa. I tell you, if I knew the first thing about reupholstering things that would have been in the truck in a heartbeat.



Being that I'm mad for milk glass, as you well know, it is of course the star of this pictorial. You have no idea how close I was to grabbing that large hobnail vase at the back of the shelf. But you see, I've been practicing willpower, and allowed myself only one purchase (well, that turned into two actually, but I couldn't just purchase one hobnail candle holder now could I?).

This ab fab tall Fenton Silver Crest cake stand just calls to me every time I'm in the market. It constantly has the side of me that adores milk glass at war with the side of me that pinches pennies. Had I seen it at this time last year I would have snapped it up as the perfect milk glass cake stand for my wedding cake. There are several other Silver Crest pieces in the market as well.


There are some really great pieces of stamped Fenton at this stall. In fact I acquired two really great pieces from these folks during my last visit.


This is the only section in the antique store that turns my eyes away from the milk glass...antique pressed glass (insert Homer Simpson drool sounds here). Goblets and cake stands and decanters oh my! This is only one small part of the truly impressive collection. If you love antique pressed glass, this is definitely the antique shop for you!

Not an antique, but my trooper of a hubby, who patiently endures aisle after aisle of antiques each and every time we're here.

If you're looking for antiques in Ontario and don't mind the drive out to St Jacobs, you simply must stop in to the St Jacobs Antiques Market


And while you're there, you might as well check out the outlet mall and the farmer's market ...

 
 ...but hopefully not on a day when the sky looks like this:

No comments:

Post a Comment