Wednesday, February 9, 2011

I dream of salad garden

While the weather outside is truly frightful, what with the extreme cold alert going on in the city and mile high snow banks on every corner, I can't help but turn my thoughts to just a few months in the future when I'll be putting in this year's square foot gardens ...that's right, gardens, this year there will be two veggie gardens and one triangle shaped raised garden in the corner for flowers.

With the second square foot garden going in this year, we've decided to make it a dedicated salad garden. So everything that goes into our salads (with the exception of cherry tomatoes ...more about last year's tomato-zilla at another time) will be coming out of this garden. Now it's just a matter of figuring out exactly what will be going in.

I suppose the most obvious choice is romaine.

In my opinion, every good salad needs the crisp sweetness of romaine as a base.In fact, we'll probably stagger plant two to three squares of romaine, using Mel Bartholomew's 4 heads per square foot recommendation.We'll probably also plant some spinach and possibly a box of green onions. That however leaves several boxes empty in my salad-specific square foot garden. Admittedly, I'm a plain salad kind of girl, but as I discovered with my first square foot garden last year, if I grow it I'll eat it. So I'd like to experiment with some additions to my salad bowl this year. It's just a matter of what.


If anyone has any suggestions I would greatly appreciate it. So what else should go into my square foot salad garden?

No comments:

Post a Comment