Saturday, July 31, 2010

Easy Reduced Fat Blueberry Muffin Recipe

I am a foodie, I cannot lie, and unfortunately it shows. So I'm constantly looking for ways to reinvent my favorite recipes to make them healthier but still just as delicious. So I present to you my easy reduced fat blueberry muffin recipe.

I confess my first attempt at making a reduced fat blueberry muffin turned into a major case of fail. The problem was, I went too far. Sometimes you need a little oil and white flour to keep thing yummy and not so much like blueberry scented stones.

But I didn't give up. After another attempt and a few easy changes I finally have an easy reduced fat blueberry muffin recipe that I (and my family) can live with, plus an interesting experiment that resulted in something super delish ...although possibly higher in carbs than I'd like...but onto the reduced fat blueberry muffins.

The Tools

A mixer (stand mixer, hand mixer or just a spoon) 
Large bowl (if not using a stand mixer)
Measuring spoons
Spatula
Muffin tin (medium size)
Muffin papers (optional) 
The Ingredients 
1 egg
3/4 cup of 1% milk
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup applesauce
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup all purpose flour
1/3 cup sugar
3 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
I just want to take this second to say that frozen wild blueberries are the best thing to keep in your freezer. They are so useful! You can make blueberry muffins, pancakes, waffles, oatmeal blueberry cookies (I'll post this recipe soon), sprinkle a handful into a salad with some goat's cheese and pecans,  you name it. 


Now, just a few easy steps and you'll have a delicious batch reduced fat blueberry muffins that just perfect for a leisurely weekend morning, a tasty grab and go weekday breakfast, or an anytime snack.
 
  
Preheat your over to 400, then either line your muffin tin with the papers or spray the wells with some Pam (cooking spray)
 If your blueberries are frozen, thaw them in a bit of water till you're ready for them.

Beat egg till foamy, then add in milk and oil and stir till combined.  Then add flours, oil, apple sauce (i used Motts pomegranate applesauce for an extra anti-oxidant boost. Mix well, scraping sides with your spatula till everything is well combined.
 
Remove blueberries from water, then add to batter.
Fold berries into the batter with your spatula and then spoon batter into the muffin tins. I like to use a 1/4 cup measuring cup to get nice, relatively  uniform muffins. Of course you don't have to do that.
Bake for about 20 minutes. Immediately remove from the tin and enjoy your easy, reduced fat blueberry muffins! For that added surprise I was talking about, I added a small spoonful of apricot preserve to the batter of a few and a spoonful of strawberry jam to a few others. Mom and hot hubby preferred the strawberry, while I love the apricot.
With muffin liner papers




Without muffin papers

No comments:

Post a Comment